Our company and culture
We love our culture – it has helped us achieve some amazing things. We will nurture and protect it. Passionate about service, we’re on a mission to revolutionise our colleagues’ and customers’ experience by employing brilliant people who are experts at what they do and smile whilst they are doing it.
It’s a great place to work because of the people we employ. Fun, professional and supportive, we want like-minded individuals who love to love their job. We are more concerned about contribution than job title and we encourage collaboration and openness.
We all have a ‘can do’ approach and are all happy to roll our sleeves up in order to get a job done well and at pace – our aim is to delight our customers. We move quickly, we are proud of our success and even more excited about the future.
In this pivotal role you’ll be responsible for providing strong technical leadership and direction in the delivery of PCMS’s projects. Working alongside Programme/Project management and Business Architecture you’ll use your extensive knowledge of the product base and its unique offering within the retail sector, combined with more general industry best practice architecture principles, to take a holistic view and oversee crucial aspects of the entire project lifecycle from pre-sales through design, development, delivery and support.
We’ll be looking for you to demonstrate the following behaviours/competencies:
- Modelling the way
- Be credible
- Do what you say you’ll do
- Coach by walking around
- Match your personal values to corporate values.
- Sharing the vision
- Share the vision and enlist others
- Be an inspirational communicator
- Challenging the Process
- Transform the system
- Go for quick wins
- Be a balanced risk taker
- Working Together
- Team working
- Influencing others
- Building relationships
- Effective and timely communication
- Achieving results
- Be a powerful enabler
- Focus on the customer, internal and external
- Recognise contributions, cheer people on.
- Celebrate success – say thank you!
- Accountable for the definition and design of Product-centric solutions to PCMS’s customer base and for ensuring the design is applied to the delivery phase of a project through strong technical leadership.
- Ensuring industry standard best practices are applied through the architectures of the systems in-line with the company’s technical strategy.
- Playing a key role in the definition of the company’s technical strategy and direction ensuring all relevant industry best practice methodologies/architectures/frameworks are understood and made use of where appropriate.
- Ensuring that a corporate wide vision of our technology strategy is represented and applied through all product and project activities.
- Working in collaboration with project leaders and implementers to ensure the design and implementation of enterprise-ready business applications is done in-line with specified architectures and technologies.
- Working with project delivery teams throughout the project life-cycle paying particular attention to ensuring projects are adequately defined from the outset (RFI/RFP/pre-sales) and ensuring this definition is understood and communicated throughout the project life-cycle.
- Assisting project delivery teams by providing key input into commercial & legal proposals & negotiations.
- Inspiring and influencing stakeholders by setting the best examples for others to follow.
- Working with cross functional teams to lead activities which contribute to continuous improvement and execution of change.
- Ensuring requirements are adequately defined from a business, technical and operational perspective and working across project teams to assist in this regard throughout the entire application lifecycle, focussing on all areas from NFRs, Infrastructure Design and Business Requirements through Implementation, QA, Integration, Release and Support.
- Facilitating communication within the wider Architecture community within PCMS and working collaboratively to bring the Technical, Software and Infrastructure Architects together.
- Working closely with the customer as key member of the PCMS project “leadership triangle,” providing technical solution leadership for both the customer and internal implementation teams.
- Engaging in and building collaborative a team culture which encourages greater engagement within the PCMS business overall leading to PCMS being a great place to work.
We want our people to embrace opportunities and to grow with our business. Although this is a general summary of the principle responsibilities of the role and the level of knowledge and skill typically required, you may get involved in other activities and you should therefore not consider this to be an exhaustive list.
Skills and experience
You will need to bring:
- The highest level of organisational awareness to enable you to influence technical strategies that support the business strategy of PCMS moving forward.
- Well-established knowledge of Software, Technical, Data, Infrastructure and Integration Architectures/Patterns and the ability to ensure that the definition and delivery of solutions adhere to those best practices.
- A background in software development and extensive experience of delivering enterprise-level, professional computing solutions.
- Experience of project delivery working within the retail sector.
- Experience of working directly with customers and collaborating within a multi-disciplined team throughout the entire project lifecycle from pre-sales through to support.
- Experience of managing the relationship with customers and third parties.
- Experience of leading and working as a key influencer in software delivery teams using.
- The ability to present succinct, clear, fact based advice to key stakeholders and build consensus to create a platform for good decision making.
- A flexible and adaptable approach with the ability to work as a team player.
- The ability to work under pressure to tight timescales, with the ability to prioritise accordingly.
- Excellent all round communications skills.
- Excellent commercial and financial acumen.
We’d like it if you could bring:
- Well-established knowledge of programming languages and tools in general; mainly focussed on the Java platform but a solid understanding and recognition of where other appropriate tools are more applicable.
- A degree (or equivalent) in a computer related subject.
- Hours of work – 37.5 per week
- Working Pattern – 9am – 5.30pm Monday – Friday (1 hour unpaid lunch break)
- Location – Coventry, United Kingdom and customer sites
- Travel – Some UK and & International travel required dependent on project needs
- Driving Licence required
To apply for this role
Please fill in the form and attach your CV.